Thursday, March 01, 2007

modern art



a link to the past
is that what we seek?
in these galleries
these spaces
rooms

is that thing hanging on the wall
crucial to where we are now
did it create room
space for us to do what we do?

was that a place we would have been
had we been there?

can we see these the same way they did?

is our present vision capable
of seeing the past for how it
really was?

is this art or merely artifact?

certainly the presence of mystification had to be
there when it was created, otherwise it would not
be here, amongst names and objects i know and recognize

i took this photo and asked myself these questions
instead of making a note of the name of the artist

shame on me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katy Diamond Hamer said...

I love this...its something I often ask myself when looking at art.

What would it have felt like to be in that place. During that time.

But we are looking, and thinking from the present. So our experience could never be the same.

It can only be a wonderment
and a hint

That we take with us.

into the future.

1:16 PM  
Blogger "" said...

Gee. I think we may have been at the same show the same week. I think the problem has more to do with the fact that we see so many reproductions of art that when we experience the real thing it has already been tainted by familiarity.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>